" It is wrong to expect a reward for your struggles. The reward is the act of struggle itself, not what you win. Even though you can't expect to defeat the absurdity of the world, you must make that attempt. That's morality, that's religion. That's art. That's life. " Phil Ochs
A long stretch with a couple of intersections and a train track : voilà Puerto Casilda •]• Deliciously rusting in the lagoon of the peninsula © sogestour
|OUR CASA LIST BEGINS HERE||REGIONAL MAP HERE|
Casilda also called Puerto Casilda or La Casilda is the seaport of the town of Trinidad, 5 km upland. To get here from the East part of Trinidad (Camilo Cienfuegos street) a straight stretch of the road from Trinidad making up the main street along with two intersections and a railroad track : voilà.
During a century, colonials from Spain exploited the land in the valley of the sugar mills (Valle de los Ingenios) using hard labor from thousands of slaves Cuba had 493,000 in 1841 who were transported to the port in Casilda, ideally located and protected by the long arm of the Ancon peninsula. Slaves were a commodity and arrived along with furniture, porcelain and building materials from Spain and used to decorate the sugar barons' palatial homes in Trinidad.
Only a 20-min bike ride from Trinidad, the town has a coouple of dollar places, a school, a couple of beauty parlors, a linear public park partially shaded, some public transportation such as horse-driven carriages, the ubiquitous 50's Chevys and Buicks and 1-cuc bus ride to the Ancon Hotel beach in the employees yellow and red busses stopping at the park twice per day.
Compared to La Boca and Trinidad, Casilda is rather quiet, except for some disco - reggaeton blasting on some nights nearby in a disaffected building. We are sure that once you are here you will enjoy all that the little village offers, including the nearby beaches on Ancon and the historic city of Trinidad.
TRANSPORT TO ANCON PENINSULA
• A three-times per day 1-cuc bus ride to Ancon beach hotels in the employees yellow and red busses coming from Trinidad and stopping at the Casilda central park. Cheaper than the 4 cucs the private taxis will charge yo.u
• Rent a bike to ride to Playa Aguilar or further to Playa Ancon (seaside flat easy road but without shade) or all the way to Trinidad (gradual, gentle uphill to go; easy going down to return).
• By taxi to Trinidad, from Havana, 3 hrs 30 minutes, (via autopista nationale and Cienfuegos) : figure 25cuc per person, minimum 4 passengers.
• By Viazul a/c bus to Trinidad from La Habana : 4 hours, 25cuc.
POPULATION 1,200 (mas o menos)
In town territory, none; further (cf. Excursions below), the rocky playa at Maria Aguilar, (1,7 km) or the small and quiet Playa La Boca (4 km) or in the opposite direction, towards the east along the coast : Ancon in nice white sand (2,4 km away) with its four beach hotels (stars, rooms, all-inclusive rate for two per night in Jan 10) : Hotel Horizontes Costasur (3*, renovated in 2008, 131 rooms, 92€), Hotel Gran Caribe Ancon (3*, 279 rooms, 122€), Hotel Brisas Trinidad del Mar (4*, 134 rooms, 134€).
PALADARES & RESTAURANTS
Locally, a new spot sprouted in 2012 La Marinera on Jovellanos 178, e/Iglesia y Perla; specializes in seafood and fish; open Noon to 22h Tel 52 48 96 84 or 58 19 16 62
In Trinidad Sol Ananda or the Sol y Son. Others : Colonial, Daniel, Don Antonio, El Jigue, El Meson del Regidor, La Cachancharra, La Coruña, Plaza Mayor.
TOP 5 MUST-SEE IN TRINIDAD
Convento San Francisco de Asís (Museo de Lucha contra los Bandidos) • Iglesia Santísima Trinidad • Museo Arquitectura Colonial • Museo Romántico • Palacio Cantero
Viazul busses from La Habana - Trinidad 2 x day on via Entronque de Jaguey, Boca de Guama, Playa Larga, Playa Giron and Cienfuegos Ruta 18 ::: Also Trinidad - Santiago 1 x day via Sancti Spiritus, Ciego de Avila, Camaguey, Las Tunas, Holguin, Bayamo Ruta 25
An impressive ruin is what's left of the 2008 hurricane © roddick, panoramio •]• From Trinidad, one cannot miss these full soviet edificios © eyanex, panoramio
Less than 2 km from town, the beach at Punta Maria Aguilar, with its parking, its seaside restaurant Grill Caribe a nice rather pricey (langosta plate, 25cuc) with a view of the eastern tip of Ancon on the horizon © eyanex, panoramio •]• Same spot, looking at the beach bar and restaurant (Ancon hotels are a good long walk away. Map here.) © eyanex, panoramio.com
Cristina Hostal is still on top of our casa list. Rebeca and daughter Sivia and her own baby daughter are three generations of Cuban women whom we have devoted our time and this web site to honour and support © sogestou
To the sea, crew ! Full of hope, time for these seamen to drop the cages © sea scout blog •]• Other type of transport locally but with same poetic slowness © FeRo, geo-reisecommunity
Ancon and its all-inclusive resorts, seen from Casilda with an arcoiris (rainbow) thrown in © sogestour
A pie o en bici, todos se van to the port where pescadores are returning with their catches © sogestour
As elsewhere on this sick planet, the mal-educated (named zombies in rich countries) fill their bodies with pills (and their brains with religion) to avoid having to think and act. There is always a waiting line in all Cuban farmacias. © sogestour
Mercado : mini, shaded and nicely framed by a bouganvilia, it will have frutas y legumbres of the day. A better choice than in the photo above. © sogestour
• Curva de Alfredo (bar & restaurant). From here about one kilomètre, with a fork : to the right to La Boca (small local beach and casas) to the left to Ancon (beach, three all-inclusive hotels and marina) • Playa Ancón : At the end of the peninsula, before the marina; used by guest of the hotels but as all beaches in Cuba, it is public : what is not allowed is to walk in to hotel premises and gouge on the free food and drinks; if you are not a hotel client, there are full-day rates for those who wish to go the todo incluido route for a day. • Playa Punta Maria Aguilar (some 1,7 km from here a bit east along road to hotels after the Curva de Alfredo) a kinda rocky beach with hand-made and rented parasols; the guy who rents parasols looks after cars parked; it's within a few steps of the Grill Caribe (beach, parasols, lobster dinner for 28cuc!). • In La Boca (4 km), try to go up the rio Guaurabo which apparently did Hernan Cortez looking for slaves to massacre Mexico's Aztecs; sail up to what is today called Finca Ma Dolores (hotel) • Cayo Blanco de Casilda, 11 km away from Ancon marina : tour packages bring guests from Trinidad : catamaran boat ride, fins and mask, playa, meal, cocktail : 45cuc per person. Info : Marina Marlin (41) 99-6205, same place where international pleasure boats anchor, get food and fuel. • Valle de los Ingenios Our page here. • Topes de Collantes (Salto Caburni, Hanabanilla lake) and its muntain range in the Escambray, trekking paths, rivers and waterfalls. Our age here.
::: Make sure that in your first email or phone call you specify that you want to book a room in that particular casa and that you will reconfirm your booking on arrival in Cuba. Unless you only want a room in any house which may be of the same quality, not the specific casa you booked through photos on these websites ::: So as to not abandon expecting owners with empty rooms, reconfirm (or call ahead to cancel) your booking by phone as soon as you can after arriving in Cuba ::: Please write or phone a casa owner to cancel a booking. As late as it may seem, it allows them a chance to rebook. ::: Children under the age of 16 may share a bedroom with adults for free. Specify the child's age when booking. ::: Since October 2010, maximum bedroom capacity is not limited to two adults ::: Also, large casas are not limited to renting only two bedrooms per night. ::: At the end of the casa name, the V signals the casa was suggested by travelers or owners but not verified by the website staff. If you try it and like it, write us about it. ::: Unless otherwise mentioned, the average room rates and service prices are : 20-25cuc per bedroom per night [up to 40+ for 4 in a room]; breakfasts 3-5cuc, dinners 7-10cuc. ::: Any casa particular anywhere in Cuba must have a hot water shower, otherwise it cannot have a permit to rent ::: Please share your Complaints, comments & suggestions webmaster [@]cubacasas.net
|BOOK BY PHONE
• From Canada and the USA : 011 53 (add phone # preceded by the town's area code, 41) • From Europe, Great Britain, Scandinavia and Mexico : 00 53 (add phone # preceded by the town's area code, 41) HOW TO DIAL A CUBAN PHONE NUMBER HERE •••• CELL PHONE NUMBERS on our town lists and casa pages are preceded by 05 for calls originating Havana; from anywhere else in Cuba, dial 01 + the 8 digits of the cell.
BOOK BY EMAIL : Click on logo to open a message addressed to that casa in your email application; or right-click to copy address showing at bottom of browser window. Spanish vocabulary here.
|Click photos to go to the casa page with description. See town map with some casa locations.|
Four ac bedrooms, large patio, great food
Calle Real (main street) 69, e/Becquer y Valdespino, on the corner of the street leading to Ancón. Tel. (41) 99-51-26 cell 53 13 02 96
Three upstairs ac bedrooms, tv, balconies
Calle Real 158, entre Iglesia y Perla Tél. (41) 99-53-82
Five ac br's, pools, plants, patio, super menu
Calle Real 145, entre Iglesia y Perla, in front of casas Villa Dalia and Puerto Casilda Tel. (41) 99-52-00 cell 52 44 78 98
Five aircon bedrooms, huge patio, mangoes
Calle Real + calle Iznaga 125, entre Perla y Norte Tél. (41) 99-5222 Cell 52 40 80 90
Two ac br (one upstairs), balcony
Real 145a, e/Iglesia y Hernan Cortez, Las Palmas neighbour Tél. (41) 99-5357
|SERGIO y LESLY V
Three ac bedrooms, ensuites, patio, garden
Real 82, e/Colon y Becquer on main street, facing the linear park. Tel. (41) 99-5437 cel. 52 99 33 03
|EL PALENQUE V
Two ac bedrooms, ensuites
Iglesia 33. Tél. (41) 99-5139
|HOSTAL ELAINE V
One ac bedroom, ensuite
Iznaga 24, e/Colon y Diego Velazquez
Cell 53 45 93 34
RECOMMENDED BY PAPERBACK GUIDEBOOKS
Footprint (FH), Le Routard (LR)
::: FH : Villa Dalia ::: LR : Hostal Tropical Caribe, Casa Novoa 070318
Content & photos © sogestour